The Opterra 2m flying wing is the collaborative effort of George Hicks and Mike McConville – two of model aviation’s premier aircraft designers. Together, they have created some of the best flying RC airplanes in the world. This one is no exception. Its lightweight construction, long wingspan and efficient aerodynamics give it a wide range of capabilities that includes everything from sport aerobatics to soaring. It even gives you the ability to put yourself in the pilot’s seat with FPV gear while using a GoPro Hero 3, Hero 4 or similar class camera to record HD video at the same time.* This Bind-N-Fly version comes with the added benefit of a Spektrum AS3X receiver that features optional SAFE Select technology.
Advanced Aerodynamics and Lightweight Construction
Central to the aircraft’s amazing capabilities are the advanced aerodynamics that shaped its design. In addition to its efficient airfoil, winglets and fins on the fuselage help the model track true in all kinds of air. Vortex generators near the leading edge of the top of the wing, and just ahead of the elevons on the bottom of the wing, enhance slow speed stability and control. The airframe itself is constructed of carbon-reinforced, hollow-core Z-Foam material that keeps weight to a minimum while maintaining strength and rigidity.
Easy to Assemble and Transport
One of the model’s most impressive features is how easy it makes it for you to take it with you anywhere. Its plug-in wing panels and winglets are secured with thumbscrews so assembly or disassembly can be done in a matter of minutes. And the box it comes in is designed to function as a carrying case complete with a handle.
AS3X Receiver with Optional SAFE Select Technology
The model’s AS3X (Artificial Stabilization – 3-aXis) receiver works behind the scenes to smooth out the effects of wind and turbulence. The result is a sense of stability and precision that makes you feel like you’re flying an expertly tuned aircraft. This receiver also features optional SAFE® Select technology that you can turn on and off with the flip of a transmitter switch. With SAFE Select technology activated, you get:
- Pitch and Bank Angle Limits: These keep the aircraft from rolling or pitching upside down. They also prevent excessive climb or dive angles during launch and landing.
- Automatic Self-Leveling: Instantly returns the wings to level when the sticks are released.
- During launch, you can turn SAFE Select technology on to keep the wing level and in the perfect climb attitude until you get both hands back on the controls. If you are flying FPV with a headset, activating SAFE Select technology will allow you to relax and enjoy the view without worrying about trying to stay level or getting disoriented and losing control.
High-Output Brushless Power System with Folding Prop
The high-output power system provides more than enough power for carrying camera payloads or performing sport aerobatics. When you want to power off and grab a thermal, the folding prop reduces drag so you can glide longer.
Up to 3 Camera Mounting Stations Available
Multiple nose sections are included – a sleek, low-drag nose for soaring and flying aerobatics, and optional camera noses with up to two forward-facing stations for FPV or HD cameras. There is also a downward-looking, HD camera bay in the belly. Both the nose and belly HD camera stations are compatible with GoPro Hero 3, Hero 4 or similar class cameras.*
*Cameras and FPV gear not included.
- Fun to fly and FPV/HD camera ready
- Up to 3 camera mounting stations
- Available SAFE Select flight envelope protection
- Plug-in wing and winglet sections for easy transport
- Powerful brushless motor with folding prop installed
- Spektrum AS3X receiver with SAFE Select technology
- Digital metal-geared servos installed
- Carbon-reinforced, hollow-core construction with durable Z-Foam material
- Lightweight design with a wide performance envelope
- Vortex generators for better slow-speed stability and control authority
Wingspan: 78.3 in (1989mm)
Overall Length: 40.8 in (1035.6mm)
Wing Area: 1033 sq in (66.6 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 67 oz (1899 g)
Motor Size: 10-Size Brushless Outrunner (installed)
Radio: 4+ channel
Recommended Battery: 2200-3200mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo with EC3 Connector (sold separately)
Experience Level: Intermediate
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
Is Assembly Required: Yes
Needed To Complete:
- Full-range, 5 Channel DSMX/DSM2 transmitter minimum or 6 Channels for an optimal flying experience
- 2200-3200mAh 3S LiPo flight battery
- 3S compatible LiPo charger
This product was added to our catalog on January 4, 2017
There are no reviews yet.